I'd seen a few Hey June Racerback Dresses around Instagram and Pinterest lately, and I knew it was a (free!) pattern I wanted to try. I traced a size 6 for Miss H with 2" additional length, and a size 2 for Baby M which I cut 2" off the hem.
The pattern is well written, and the pieces went together pretty quickly! I had noticed that many of the other dresses I had seen made with this pattern looked either too big or were made from fabric that didn't lend itself to the dress style. I couldn't exactly pinpoint what would make a fabric work well, so I just picked some from my knit bin and went to work. The blue floral fabric has a funny story. It originally had a white background, but when I pre-washed it with another solid blue/green fabric, it took on a lot of dye! It frustrated me for about a year, but ended up looking ok for this project.
I sewed all the the skirt hems with my serger, which made the dresses take shape speedily. I did learn that because the back shoulder section is so narrow, I need to pull the binding sewn first out of the way for the second piece. Each dress has one wonky side and one nicer side because of this!
Miss H is thrilled with the dress because it is so soft, and has requested another. I was worried it wouldn't fit her well because she is so slender, but it fits very well! Baby M's is a little big, as I expected, but that is ok because she is growing so fast.
Fabric: main - Swifting Flora from Fleet and Flourish by Maureen Cracknell for Art Gallery Fabric, contrast - Organic Little Forest Knit from Mona Luna Fabrics
Size: 2 and 6
Changes: shortened size 2 by 2", lengthened size 6 by 2"