Sunday, October 27, 2013

Fall KCW: Art Museum Vest

I wasn't sure if I would have time to make it through my last Kids Clothes Week project or not, but here it is! I loved the vest in the Art Museum pattern when I first saw it. The pattern gives excellent instructions for sewing welt pockets, something I was a little nervous about. The vest is a pretty quick sew, and takes a remarkably small amount of fabric (much less than the pattern states!).


This is a 3T. I used some Anna Maria Horner scraps for the vest front and back strap. The back and lining are some aqua chambray that I got online earlier this summer. Instead of buttons, I used my favorite snap source snaps.



Thursday, October 24, 2013

KCW: Playtime Apple Dress

Well, here's my second Playtime pattern all sewn up! It is so quick! 


I made this one out of a 2 yard cut of corduroy that I found on a $4 a yard special this summer. I made the pockets with some pink quilting cotton so there wouldn't be too much bulk and extra weight hanging. I also used a lighter weight interfacing for the yoke lining so it wouldn't get too stiff. 


This is very similar to the strawberry tunic I made. I made the full length dress. Miss H and I both love it. I am impressed how good it looks on a skinny mini while still having a roomy top.


Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Fall KCW: First Playtime

Well, this is one of my busier weeks of life, but it also happens to be Fall Kids Clothes Week! I have been able to keep up with house cleaning and baby shower planning enough to do a little "extra" sewing.


I've had the new Oliver + S patterns sitting in a pile, waiting to be sewn for a few weeks. I knew I wanted to make some long sleeve tops and dresses. Mostly dresses. Miss H is partial to dresses and skirts right now. She loves things she can wear tights or what she calls squishy pants with, rather than jeans. Most of my to-be-sewn-stash-fabric are one yard pieces. I used to be able to eek anything out of a yard for her. Well, now in a 3T that doesn't seem like as much of an option! I settled on the Playtime Dress, Tunic, and Leggings pattern. It said I would need a yard and a half, but I made a yard of the Heather Ross Briar Rose work, along with a strip of some red on red pattern that I had.


I left the pockets out to save fabric. I ended up with a length somewhere between the tunic and dress, and I love it! (I already have another one cut out.) I had a little problem with the back bodice pattern. Some of the ladies on the Oliver + S discussion boards kindly pointed out that a corrected pattern piece had been released for this.

I chose to use the faux peter pan style collar top stitching. I was worried I wouldn't be able to see it well, even with a contrasting color. Again, the discussion boards had a great suggestion. I used two spools of red thread on the top of my machine, one spinning clockwise and one spinning counterclockwise. I was worried my machine's tension would freak out, but it did just fine. I will try this trick again!

My next version will be the dress length in corduroy. This was a quick sew and was approved by Miss H!