Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Kid's Clothes Week: Roller Skate High-Low Top

This post is a little late, but it was actually finished last week! I made this pattern as an Easter dress last year, and the armhole ripped out after a couple wears. I saw the exact same thing happened to Gail's dress, and came to the conclusion that maybe I shouldn't clip the curves so closely. Because of the early demise of the dress, I have been hesitant to use this pattern again, but my 1 yard stash busting plan won out.


I wanted to make this top a little more interesting, but didn't want to spend the time embroidering anything. I decided to attempt a high-low hem line. I used the original length of the top for the front center, and tapered down with a small curve to about 3" below the original hem line. The back is pretty much just 3" longer straight across. I wasn't sure as I was putting it together if it was enough of a difference to be noticeable in the finished top, but thankfully it is! I like the finished top, and so does Miss H.


Pattern: Oliver + S Roller Skate Dress + Tunic
Fabric: Priory Square Clover Field from Art Gallery Fabrics
Size: 6
Changes: I used a snap rather than a button closure in the back, and I created a high-low hemline.




Friday, August 12, 2016

Kid's Clothes Week: Class Picnic Blouse

As I was looking through my bins of stashed fabric, I kept finding that many of my pieces are only a yard long. I used to be able to make a dress for Miss H with just a yard, or maybe a yard and some contrasting solid pieces. Now it takes closer to 2 yards. After looking through my patterns, I realized I can make tops out of single yard pieces. It's been about 3 years since I've used this pattern, so it was fun to resurrect!


Pattern: Oliver + S Class Picnic Blouse
Size: 6
Fabric: Alison Glass Handcrafted Plus in Strawberry for Andover
Changes: none!


Miss H loves this shirt, I think because it is pretty loose and doesn't have exposed seams around her neck. She asked me to make her a couple more just like it.



Thursday, August 11, 2016

Kid's Clothes Week: An Ice Cream Dress

It's been about 2 years since I've made an Ice Cream Dress for Miss H, and this fabric was screaming for one when I saw it. Miss H loves the loose fit and the lined yoke that hides the "scratchy" seams.


Pattern: Oliver + S Ice Cream Dress
Size: 6
Fabric: Doodle & Buttons from the Noteworthy collection by Erin McMorris for Free Spirit
Changes: Just my normal button to snap conversion
(Sorry for the front porch pictures, that's as far as we could go with a sleeping baby!)


Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Kid's Clothes Week: Mini Southport Dress

I haven't sewn much for the kiddos this spring or summer because we have had a new-to-us foster baby for a few months. She has had a lot of appointments, and keeping up with house stuff and trying to finish kindergarten has taken most of my "free" time. I've had a few piles of fabric eyeing me for a while, and some slightly less busy evenings that have enabled me to sew a little the last few weeks!


Kid's Clothes Week is being run by someone new, and the dates were hard for me to find, so I actually started sewing last week and finished a couple dresses for Miss H before I realized I was a week off. My first dress this time is a Mini Southport, which I love! It is pretty easy to sew, with fantastic instructions, and it doesn't require a lot of fabric in big girl sizes.


Miss H likes the loose, easy fit of the dress, but she still finds Moda fabrics to be "scratchy" to wear until they have been washed a few times. These photos are from our weekend trip to Point Reyes National Seashore at the Marconi RCA Wireless Radio Station.


Pattern: Mini Southport Dress by True Bias
Size: 7 (Miss H wears a 6, but my notes from last time told me this pattern runs pretty small.)
Fabric: Leis in Hibiscus (main) and Lanai Shirt in Hibiscus (bias trim) from Aloha Girl by Fig Tree for Moda
Changes: Based on my notes from the first time I made this, I shortened the elastic length in the waist band so that we won't see it peeking through with the front ties. Also, I used snaps rather than buttons and button holes down the front.




Sunday, February 28, 2016

Kid's Clothes Week: Ayashe Blouse

I decided to end Kid's Clothes Week with a new, non-Oliver + S pattern. This is one I bought at a fabric shop in Portland almost 2 years ago, called the Ayashe blouse. It only takes a yard of fabric!


The sizing is a little different than I'm used to, so I made a 6/7. I opted to make the Mandarin collar version, and used a drawstring in the bottom rather than elastic. The pattern instructions are poorly written with few illustrations. I ended up making the yoke without directions, then following Nicole's directions for collars from her Sketchbook tutorial, and then I finished the rest of the blouse using tried and true Oliver + S methods (iron the sleeve hem, attach the sleeve, then sew the entire side of the blouse and sleeve in one seam). The sleeves were actually not long enough to hem the way the pattern suggested, and the blouse hem was much deeper than it needed to be for a drawstring or elastic casing. I added button holes in the front center of the hem for the drawstring. This shirt seems to run small, as it looks like it may get too short quickly.


Pattern: Ayashe Blouse from Figgy's
Size: 6/7
Fabric: Oh Happy Day Sprinkles by Dear Stella
Changes: Assembled differently than instructions, shortened the blouse hem and added buttonholes for the drawstring.